Thanks to everyone that could make it to the first meeting of the WMTBC for 2014.
It’s going to be a great year with many competitive and social events on the calendar; both on and off the bike, if you’re not already involved now is definitely the time to JOIN!!!
Since establishment of the club in August 2013 the WMTBC have:
- Successfully hosted our first ever event, The Dirty Molle Island Escape, attracting riders from the Whitsundays, Mackay, Moranbah & Townsville to the Whitsundays for two days of riding and an overnight camping trip
- Providing industry specific knowledge and advice on the trails on South Molle Island leading to them being opened to the general public for mountain bikes
- Published two articles in leading Australian mountain bike magazines which are distributed internationally (Mountain Biking Australia Magazine, 20,000+ readership and Australian Mountain Bike Magazine 23,000)
- Secured a Tourism and Events Queensland funding grant
- Created a three minute video on mountain biking in the Whitsundays which received considerable interest from significant stakeholders and the wider community
- Participated in social riding events across Australia (Adelaide, Brisbane, Townsville, Moranbah and Bulla)
- Competed in races with many notable podium finishes
- Formed a sister-club relationship with the Mackay and District Mountain Bike Club for the purpose of increasing inter-club competition and cooperation
- Hosting a weekly ride every Tuesday night for new riders
- Began work on a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Queensland Wildlife Parks and Services (QWPS) to allow the WMTBC to be an integral part of all trail design and maintenance
And we’re going to do so much more this year! Join us!